Made with a gluten-free sweet potato pastry crust, this nutritious tart is filled to the brim with healthy Quiche Lorraine filling: Caramelised onions, tiny sweet cherry tomatoes, spinach, and nitrite-free bacon. If you fancy a meat-free version, change out the bacon (or sausages) for delicious wild mushrooms. Perfect served warm with a light green salad or as part of a packed lunch. It keeps well in the fridge and for up to three days!
For the pastry case
1 pack of (defrosted) sweet potato pastry from Primal Cut
For the Filling
250g of nitrite-free bacon or pancetta roughly chopped
1 large onion halved and sliced finely
2 garlic cloves finely diced
180 g of fresh baby spinach
250 ml of coconut milk
80g cherry tomatoes halved horizontally through the middle
1 tsp of dried thyme (or a tablespoon of fresh)
1 handful of fresh parsley finely chopped
Sea salt and black pepper
To make the Sweet Potato Pastry Tart Base
1. Roll the pastry into a 3 mm thick disc to line a 24 cm diameter loose-bottomed pastry case. Use two sheets of parchment paper to speed the process along.
2. Line the pastry case with the pastry trimming away the excess.
3. Place in the fridge to chill for 20 mins
4. Pre-heat the oven to 180C and bake the pastry case gently in the oven for approx ten minutes until lightly browned
5. Remove from the oven
To make the filling
2. Remove from the pan and set aside
3. Cook the onion in the bacon fat on a low heat until the onions have caramelised - about 10 - 12 minutes
4. Add the garlic to the pan during the last few minutes to let the fragrance and flavour infuse
5. Throw in the spinach and allow it to cook down until any excess liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
6. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs together in a large bowl and add the coconut milk
7. Add the bacon bits and the onion and spinach mix and season with salt and pepper
8. Pour the egg mixture into the pre-baked tart case.
9. Top with the half tomatoes which you can push just gently down into the mix so they are held in place.
10. Bake for 35 mins until the quiche is nicely golden brown on top and just set in the middle, make sure that it is not runny
11. Allow to cool for 15 minutes
12. Serve warm with salad and enjoy it.